A range extender is a networking device that serves the purpose of boosting the signals emitted by the host gadgets. However, if even after installing the range extender, the internet connection keeps dropping every instant, it can be exasperating. Mentioned in this post are the troubleshooting techniques that will help you fix the connectivity problem in a matter of minutes. For reference, we are using a Wavlink extender. You are free to implement these hacks on the extender model you own.
[Solved] Wavlink Extender Keeps Dropping Internet
Fix 1: Get the Firmware Updated
The very first thing causing the extender to drop the internet connection is the outdated version of the firmware. Therefore, consider accessing the Wavlink WiFi extender setup wizard via ap.setup web address and install the latest version of the firmware. Know that every firmware update arrives with new features and performance bugs. Thus, there is no harm in equipping your WiFi device with the latest firmware version. But, during the firmware update process, take care of the following points:
- Always download the firmware file as per the model number of your range extender.
- Avoid interrupting the firmware update process by switching off the extender.
- Use an upgraded browser to carry out the Wavlink firmware update process.
Fix 2: Use Hardwired Connections
We completely agree that wireless connections prevent the mess of wires. But, they are not a reliable choice always. Note that wireless connections not only become weak eventually but are vulnerable too. It means that there is a possibility that someone with a good hold on technology can steal the data being transferred with the help of wireless connections. Therefore, consider using hardwired connections wherever possible. Especially when it comes to connecting the Wavlink extender to the main router, always go with an Ethernet cable. But,
- Make sure that the cable you’ve used is intact.
- The connection created by you is finger-tight.
- You have connected the cable to the correct ports of your devices.
Fix 3: Minimize WiFi Interference
Right after completing the extender setup process, the user is suggested to take the extender to a new location. The purpose of this act is to ensure that the amplified signals reach each and every corner of the house. But, it seems that you’ve placed your extender in a room packed with signal interference due to which it is unable to perform up to its full extent. Therefore, relocate the extender and keep it away from the following things.
- Water-carrying objects that include geysers and fish tanks.
- Shiny surfaces like glasses, mirrors, and objects with metal polishing.
- Heavy electrical appliances such as refrigerators, televisions, and microwave ovens.
- Corners and concrete walls.
- Bluetooth devices like speakers, smart watches, AC, etc.
- Devices utilizing GPS technology.
Fix 4: Place Your Devices Closer
If you want your Wavlink WiFi extender to perform up to the mark, you need to ensure that the distance separating it from the main gateway is appropriate. You just can’t place your extender at any random location and command it to amplify the host gateway’s signals. Therefore, consider the following things with respect to the extender’s distance from the main networking device:
- There needs to be a clear line of sight between both devices.
- The Wavlink extender should not be placed too close to the main router or modem.
Fix 5: Restart the Extender
Your Wavlink extender will keep performing well if you make rebooting a habit. Know that rebooting is a perfect hack to get rid of technical glitches. Therefore, you should reboot the extender so often. The instructions for rebooting the extender are given below. However, you are free to power cycle the entire network if the problem persists.
- Disconnect every cable connected to your Wavlink extender.
- Unplug the extender from the power socket.
- Keep the device idle for a few minutes.
- Time to re-plug the WiFi device!
- Reconnect the cables and set the Power button on the extender to the ON position.
In a Nutshell
So, these were the Wavlink troubleshooting techniques that will help you fix the dropping connection issue. We are anticipating that the connectivity issue with your range extender is now fixed and you’re enjoying its lag-free internet services. However, to avoid such issues in the near future, avoid overburdening your extender.