Millions trust Netgear blindly when it comes to satisfying internet requirements. With that said, some users invest in Netgear Nighthawk routers and extenders whereas other avoids the hassle of configuring their devices separately and bring a Netgear Orbi mesh system home. The reason being, they don’t need to access the admin panel separately for their routers and satellites. However, managing the Orbi network and accessing its services become nearly impossible when the router falls victim to an issue. One such issue reported by a Netgear Orbi user was that his router did not work after a power outage. As a result, he was not able to gain access to the Orbi login page and manage the WiFi system.
Are you also having rotten luck because your Orbi denied working after a power outage? Well, we’re sensing the very obvious answer “Yes” since you’re reading this post. Highlighted below are the troubleshooting tactics that will help you handle the issue and fix it in a snap.
Before starting the troubleshooting process, know that a technical glitch can prevent your Netgear Orbi router from working after a power outage. Therefore, first of all, try to eliminate it. For this, simply restart your Orbi router by decoupling it from the power socket and connecting it back. In case your router is still not ready to work, the hacks can be given a try.
Fixed: Netgear Orbi Router Not Working After Power Outage
For your ease, we’ve segregated the troubleshooting techniques into two sections – basic and advanced. It means if the basic ones do not turn the table in your favor, you can take the assistance of the advanced one to make your Orbi router up and running.
- First of all, have a look at the socket to which your Orbi router is connected. Is it damaged? If yes, then it might have happened due to a power surge. To fix the issue, we suggest you get your hands on a new power socket. A lot of them are available at very low costs on the internet. However, if you are in hurry, then you can simply connect your WiFi router to another working socket.
- There’s a possibility that you’ve connected the router through an extension cord that has got damaged due to the power outage. Hence, you are facing the Orbi router not working after power outage issue. To patch things up, pick your router up and power it up using another source. However, the chosen one must be sharing the room with the internet modem.
- Is the adapter of your Netgear Orbi router all OK? Damages to the power adapter of a networking device are common thing after a power outage. There are many scenarios when the Netgear device fails to work due to a damaged adapter. If the same is the case with you, we recommend you get another power adapter [but the genuine one].
If you’re still getting the Netgear Orbi router not working power outage issue, then there is a possibility that the firmware of your device has got corrupted. But, know that you can’t update it without accessing the router’s dashboard which is again an impossible task as the router is not working. In that scenario, doing an Orbi factory reset will resolve the problem for you. Check out the instructions mentioned below and learn how to reset your Orbi router:
- Disconnect your Orbi from satellites and the internet modem.
- Locate the Reset button on your router and push it.
- After some time, the router will start working on the default settings.
This is to inform you that you must not power down your Orbi router after you push the Reset button. Doing so might harm your WiFi device and push you into a much bigger issue than you’re already facing. Additionally, avoid pressing any other button on the router during the reset procedure.
Various reasons can lead you to the Netgear Orbi router not working after power outage issue. Since we’ve highlighted them along with the troubleshooting techniques mentioned in this post, it is expected that the issue has now bid a farewell. However, once you’re done with the factory default reset of the router, consider reconfiguring it.
For this, place your satellites close to the router, create the router-modem connection, and router-satellite sync. Thereafter, open the Orbi app on your mobile phone and walk through the on-screen instructions to set up your mesh system from scratch.