Whether as an engagement ring or a valentines gift, there is a need to devote considerable time when choosing a suitable ring. From design and colour to the choice of gemstone, several factors are involved in finalizing one. Diamond alternatives such as moissanite are extremely popular nowadays due to several benefits they offer. Are you still wondering if this lab-generated gemstone is a suitable choice? Have insights into the major difference between diamonds and moissanite and know why the latter is ruling the custom jewelry in Canada.
Moissanite vs Diamond: How Both the Gemstones Differ From each Other
|Cost||Moissanite is available at a reasonable cost per carat offering the opportunity to buy bigger stones at a low price.||Diamond is known as a traditional gemstone and has a higher cost per carat. People having a large budget must prefer diamonds.|
|Hardness and Durability||It has got 9.25 on the Mohs scale (second only to diamond). Moissanite is highly durable and resistant to chips and cracks. It is a long-lasting gemstone which does not yellow or fade over time.||It has got 10 on the Mohs scale of hardness and has the highest score among all the gemstones. It is a durable jewelry type that can turn yellow or fade over time. It would require regular maintenance.|
|Clarity||Moissanite is typically flawless and has no inclusions visible to the naked eye.||Most of the diamonds have inclusions that can be seen without magnification.|
|Ethical Concerns||This gemstone being lab-grown has no ethical or environmental concerns in its manufacturing process or usage.||Diamonds have been in conflict for their unethical mining practices. Mining can have negative impacts on the environment and communities.|
|Colour||You can find a superior choice when looking for colourless gemstones.||Naturally occurring diamonds often have yellow or brown tints. They need extra refinements to develop a clean and shiny look.|
|Availability||Moissanite is currently extremely popular and many jewelry stores make moissanite jewelry readily available.||Diamonds are available within a Limited range, with some mines closing or becoming depleted|
|Weight Retention||Moissanite retains its weight and is not subject to chipping or breaking.||Can lose weight through chipping or breaking|
If you are considering buying the moissanite ring, here are some of the popular designs to consider buying.
- Solitary Design: This classic design features a single, large Oval moissanite for engagement rings, set in a simple metal band.
- Halo Design: A halo design features a central oval moissanite surrounded by smaller moissanite or diamonds, creating a stunning ring that sparkles from every angle.
- Three Stone Design: A three-stone ring features an oval moissanite center stone with two smaller moissanite or diamonds on either side, symbolizing the past, present, and future of your relationship.
- Pavé Design: This design features small, round moissanite or diamonds pave set along the band and around the center stone, creating a brilliant and sparkling effect.
- Split Shank Design: A split shank design features a central oval moissanite with two parallel bands that split apart at the base, creating a unique and modern look.
Looking at the table above it is clear that moissanite has several advantages over diamonds. Whether considering the expense perspective or any other factor, moissanite is more affordable, and its lab-grown nature eradicates every unethical or environmental concern associated with diamond mining. Additionally, more features like moissanite have a higher light dispersion, are highly durable, and are available in a range of colours, making it a preferable choice for buyers. These characteristics make Moissanite an attractive alternative for those looking for a beautiful, high-quality gemstone that is both affordable and ethical.